Monday 12 March 2012

This ain't just about Mr. Men you know

Or indeed, kids books in general. Not as if I want to give the impression that I'm totally blasé about the whole thing, but on the whole, kids books do tend to be shorter than adult books. This does not make them easy to write, however, as you do have to tailor them for a particular audience. As is the case for parodies of kids books, as in kids books written in the style of kids books but for a more adult audience - re: 'Let's Shit'.

Parodies of this sort of thing are becoming to become more popular. You may be aware of 'Go The F**k To Sleep' which is a successful example of the genre.

I've given more adult books a go in the past, and I do have considerably high expectations of myself when I was. So high, in fact, that it battered my confidence to such a degree that I couldn't finish what I was writing. Even now, when I read back to what I've written before, I just think that I've scrambled together an awful piece of work, and I should use my time for more useful and productive ventures and the like.

I mainly enjoy writing Sci-Fi and Fantasy. It was only up to a few years ago, when writing a story about a being that can draw a portal to anywhere in the Universe that I realised that I should inject a bit of humour into the whole thing. But the main reason for focusing on Sci-Fi and Fantasy in general is that I like to create my own worlds and rules (though without becoming too unrealistic).

I started a blog two years ago with the intention of posting bite-sized portions of a Fantasy saga which I would update regularly. I didn't advertise it well, and again, the demon of low self confidence struck again with a killing blow that doomed the entire thing. Ideas for the story still run through my head, and I may just come back to this again, as there are some rather killer parts to this which I think to be fair should be exposed to the world.

Anyway, here is what I managed to accomplish, if you've got a bit of time to spare.

http://blatantfantasyrubbish.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment