Saturday 5 January 2013

Video game ideas - Fallout

(Originally posted 5th January 2013)

Well, I've had an idea for a sequel to a game I bought last year. To be honest, this usually happens when I buy a good game, I imagine what possible sequels could be made (as long as they're going to be something original and fun).

Last year, I bought myself Fallout 3 (Game Of The Year edition). I was interested in getting it when it was first released, but never got around to buying it. Well, I'm glad I eventually did, and even nowadays, it is still a corker of a game, with an excellent storyline. For those who don't know about Fallout 3, here's a video.
 


Fallout 3 is based in the apocalyptic ruins of Washington DC and its surrounds (called the Capital Wasteland).

There is a follow-on game already, Fallout: New Vegas (which I've begun to start playing, and already, this is showing to be excellent), and there's talk of a Fallout 4 being based in Los Angeles. The prequels to this game were set in Post-Apocalyptic USA.

Fallout 3 combines two types of game which I enjoy, First Person Shooter with Role Playing Game (something which Bethesda Studios have been perfecting for a very long time, with their Elder Scrolls series) and it just works so well.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have two ideas for Fallout games, which are as follows. I will do separate blog posts for each idea.

  1. Fallout LDN: A FPS RPG set in the post-apocalyptic ruins of London. Add-on modules set in various locations around the UK. This would be the first Fallout game set outside of the US.
  2. Fallout Roguelike: A top down "roguelike"-ish Fallout RPG set in the post-apocalyptic ruins of Chicago, IL. Optimised for mobile devices.
Update, 10th January 2013

"What rhymes with shoes, and often gives you the blues? That's right, it's time for the cashews! Okay, that doesn't really rhyme... How about news?"

Literally days after I write this, actor Erik Todd Dellums tweeted that he may have some involvement with a sequel to the Fallout series. I knew there were rumours of a sequel anyway, but there is rumour of there being a sequel based in Boston, Massachusetts. This looks interesting. If he returned as Three Dog, then it would be even more interesting, particularly as I have ideas for quests for both Fallout LDN and Fallout Roguelike that would involve a slightly older Three Dog.

We'll see how this pans out. Hopefully there won't be too much conflict with my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment